• to REFLECT CHRIST in all that we do
• to GROW in CHRIST
• to WORSHIP CHRIST
• to PROCLAIM CHRIST to the world
• To REFLECT CHRIST in all that we do, serving him and others in gratitude for his gift of salvation.
(1 Corinthians 10:31)
• To GROW in CHRIST through personal and family Bible study, Sunday School, group Bible study, worship, and faithful use of the Sacraments.
(2 Peter 3:18)
• To WORSHIP CHRIST by gathering around God’s word and sacraments, sharing Christian love and fellowship with each other and building each other up in Christ.
• To PROCLAIM CHRIST by sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ to our community and our world by our words, actions, prayers, and offerings.
Mission of the WELS
As men, women, and children united in faith and worship by the Word of God, the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod exists to make disciples throughout the world for time and for eternity, using the Gospel to win the lost for Christ and to nurture believers for lives of Christian service, all to the Glory of God.
For additional information regarding the beliefs of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod visit http://www.wels.net/what-we-believe
History of St. John – St. Peter Evangelical Lutheran Church
The double name of the congregation — St. John and St. Peter — describes the congregation’s early history. Prior to an amalgamation in 1920, two congregations existed: St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church of Centerville, dedicated September 5, 1861, and St. Peter Evangelical Lutheran Church, organized June 14, 1863, and located on Union Road west of Cleveland. St. Peter’s affiliated with the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod in 1868.
Pastor Margott Helidor Quehl served both congregations until 1868. His successor was Candidate Charles Dowidat, who remained until 1875. From 1875-1877 Pastor Franz Pieper served both congregations. Pastor Julius Haase served from 1877 until 1883. From 1883 to 1887 C. Jaeger was the pastor. Pastor Philip Sprengling arrived in 1887, serving for 46 years.
Pentecost Sunday, May 23, 1920 was a monumental day. The decision was made to merge the two congregations and build a new church. On July 4, 1920, the two churches agreed to build the new church and parsonage on the present location. The cornerstone was laid in 1922 and the dedication service was held on June 25, 1923. The cost was approximately $40,000. On December 1, 1928, the mortgage was paid in full.
On February 12, 1919, the first meeting of the Ladies Aid Society was held. Even during the years of the depression, the Ladies Aid Society paid $2,385 for decorating the church in 1931. In 1933, Pastor Philip Sprengling retired because of ill health, ending his ministry of 46 years. Pastor Martin Braun was installed in November 1933.
On December 6, 1948, Roland Jacobi was elected as the first president of the congregation.
Pastor Martin Braun accepted a call in 1950 after serving 17 years. His successor was Pastor Elden Bode, serving from August 27, 1950 – October 11, 1959. Pastor Gerhardt Cares succeeded him, serving from May 1, 1960 until 1966 when he accepted a call to Zion in Columbus, Wisconsin, where he still serves. Pastor Paul Knickelbein served the congregation from 1967-1968. On January 19, 1969, Rev. Henry F. Koch was installed, serving 29 years until his retirement on May 31, 1998. Pastor Aaron E. Schoenike was ordained and installed on June 20, 1999. On July 11th, 2004, Pastor David Endorf was ordained and installed. Pastor Endorf currently serves the congregation.
In 1975 the congregation joined the Manitowoc Lutheran High School Federation. Seven sons of the congregation have studied at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, Mequon, Wisconsin and four daughters of the congregation have graduated from Martin Luther College, New Ulm, Minnesota.